Hard water is neither tasty nor its effects on plumbing system are good. So, how to get rid of nasty stains and stubborn limescale…
Limescale escalates worse problems one can think of. It damages household large water-based appliances from heaters to dishwashers as well as plumbing system both costs high. If you live in the United States or the United Kingdom you might be aware of the consequences of hard water that is never-ending.
Those scaly whitish casts on faucets, taps, sink, bathtubs and on the inner and outer corner of pipes. Oh, wait! Inside your heaters, dishwashers, electric kettle, coffee maker and many more is limescale that has deposited when hard water has evaporated. Hard water contains concentrated minerals that when heated water evaporates leaving minerals behind. This with time gets firm and bulky that decreases the efficiency of appliances and also causes a breakdown. Also, high utility bills are the reason following limescale.
Boiling water is one method that could be applied in a small amount but to eradicate this issue permanently on a large scale you need a water softener. If you are looking for one check reviews of salt free water softeners for the right decision.
Now, let us move on to the key segment of our article i.e. tips to remove limescale. Hence we bring you to the top 5 prevention methods to get rid of limescale:
- Washing Machine: You can add powdered water softeners or liquid to prevent scaling. There are many products that are available in the market.
- Taps and Showers: Apply carbon filters so that water hardness passes through it.
- Pipes: Outside pipes magnetic descaler can be clamped. It prevents minerals from sticking to the inner side of the pipes.
- Appliances: People in many areas use bottled water in electric kettles or coffee makers to prevent limescale.
- Water Supply: Well, the only permanent and cost-effective way is to install a water softener that will prevent water hardness and you will be saved from every hassle caused as you will be using water for cleaning, washing, and drinking. The same water will be used in appliances too so no stains and no scales.
DIY Limescale Removers:
Lemon and Vinegar: When lemon and vinegar is mixed in equal amount and poured directly on faucets of sunk it removes limescale completely. You can even fill it in a bottle and spray this solution, let it sit for 30 minutes and wash it with normal tap water and your taps are shiny as before.
Vinegar: If scaling is at its first level you can put vinegar only as it contains acetic acid which attacks limescale.
Coke: yes, you heard it right. Coke is not just for drinking. It contains phosphoric acid which prevents rust and limescale.
Major areas where limescale settles is showerheads, faucets, toilet bowl, sink and bathtubs, kettle, iron, washing machine, and dishwasher. The entire above DIY mentioned can be applied but on the kettle, dishwasher, and iron only vinegar solution is safe. For this dilute a part of vinegar in 2 parts of water directly apply on the affected area and leave for 30 minutes. Once it is completed, clean with hot water.
Thank me later! First, try the DIY methods stated above. Who knew getting rid of limescale could be so easy? With all natural and safe products, you can get your home safe with simple kitchen products.
Let us know which one is your favorite in the comment box below.